<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

beauty in the detail

The other day I discovered that pittosporum trees have flowers. I've always thought they were a fairly nondescript tree, their value being quick growth that provides an excellent screen (you can see how our neighbours backyard is pretty well screened out here!). Not the kind of thing that makes me love a tree. I like the noble oak or lush chestnut myself - the pittosporum does little for me.

Until I discovered their flowers! Tiny, dark purple flowers that bloom along the whole branch. Frank has since informed me that these flowers develop into berries. I had no idea that they even existed!


I wonder how often I do that in life - drift along through tedious days, completing endless duties and meeting nondescript people, all the while missing the detail each contains?

Too often I suspect. Right now I feel like I've been sucked into a vortex of busyness. I can't cope with the details of everything that is going on, so I screen it all out and focus on the broad picture. Sadly, I miss the beauty in the detail.

Time to get off the merry-go-round, breathe deeply and savour the detail of life and the beauty it reveals!

1 Comments:

At 3:25 pm, September 29, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Stop and see the pittosporum flowers...thats a different take on things! :) They are very rich looking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home