<$BlogMetaData$

Friday, September 15, 2006

better than a shopping spree

I'm still deciding if I love it when the Bible says something relevant to my life or not - it isn't always nice or easy to take. Like this reading from Psalm 4 (in the Message).
How long will you live crazed by illusion?

Why is everyone hungry for more? "More, more," they say.
"More, more."
I have God's more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day
Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.
This was particularly confronting because two nights ago I went to a Laura Benini shoe party. Oh la la! These leather shoes were just beautiful! The idea is to choose a style you like, then you select the colour and style of the leather and five weeks later you receive your custom made shoes. Add in the comfort factor and you have an irrisistable combination! I saw about seven styles I liked, but I restrained myself and only ordered two pairs. (that sounds a lot better than telling you how much I spent!)

How to get at least one more pair without spending too much money? Have my own party of course! A friend from work and I decided to co-host and if enough shoes were sold, we could both get some free shoes. Not bad.

Not bad - until I got home! Frank was less than happy to host such a party in our house.

One, how many pairs of shoes do I need? (Such a boy question!)
Two, do I really think it is OK to use my friends to get more shoes (that I don't really need)?

I talked breezily about how a girl always needs more shoes, and it wasn't using friends, it was giving them the opportunity to share in a wonderful product.

And then God spoke - about illusions, and shopping sprees and about him being more-than-enough. I just can't argue with that - he is more than enough and I don't really need those sexy little shoes. (where would I wear them anyway?!)

So that is the end of Cecily's shoe party. Sigh. But God is my more-than-enough so that's OK!

3 Comments:

At 7:15 am, September 17, 2006, Blogger michelle said...

LOL!
Post some pics of the shoes when they come!

 
At 11:12 am, September 18, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Go Frank! Good job listening to the still small voice too, although I do love shoes so part of me wishes you were having your party :)

 
At 7:59 pm, September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tupperware is cheaper.

Or is it?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home