<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

upstanding member of society

I'm patting myself on the back for being an upstanding member of society!

As I was walking home from work today I (again) slipped into a pleasant reveree. The sun was shining and warming my skin, and just being away from work made me feel good. Ahhh.

Suddenly I was jangled out of my said reveree by the sound of metal on metal. "Oh no! An accident!" I cried out internally. But no, there was no sign of an accident. Instead the road was littered with several large pieces of metal, some of them mangled from their fall off a truck. Two pieces lay directly in the path of one lane of traffic, and another was perched on the traffic island. Cars were edging their way timidly through the intersection trying to avoid the debri. It was an accident waiting to happen.

I sped up my pace, came inside and phoned the police. They said thanks - actually I'm not sure that they did say thanks... he was a bit short and sounded resigned to the need to send a car out to investigate. But I still hung up the phone feeling great about my good deed for society!

(I've just told Frank and I feel somewhat deflated now, as he asked why I didn't remove the rods myself! I have defended myself strongly, stating that I would have risked life and limb to venture into the middle of the road! Everyone was still driving straight through and I feel the police were definitely needed to stop the traffic. Humph - so much for feeling great about my good deed!)

1 Comments:

At 1:46 pm, September 07, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Well your intentions were good! I don't know if I were walking if I would have tried to remove the metal, but if I were driving and it was blocking my lane I'd put on my hazards and hop out. I think you did a good job though ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home