<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

momentous union

For years I've been an ardent anti-unionist. Something to do with the way I was nurtured ('unions are of the devil') and a strong sense of social justice (how could I join an organisation that fights for higher pay when I am already richer than billions of the world's population?).

But now I've done a complete about-face. I've joined the nursing union - with the proviso that I won't join any strike action for higher wages. (If you can make that proviso. I think I read somewhere you can't not strike if the union calls for strikes - so I'll be one of the skeleton staff on the ward if need be)

I'm still coming to terms with my decision - but hopefully over the years it proves wise! Effective immediately I have professional indemnity cover. I still can't quite believe I worked for 11 years without it! I also have access to professional representation and education. And I just might join some action that is in the wind about staffing levels if need be.

So there you go - a momentous union with the nursing union. How nice.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 am, October 26, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Oooh, that IS an about-face! I still remember having discussions about unions when we started nursing and dithering because of your arguments. LOL I don't think I 'fessed up to you when I became a membe!r :)

 
At 4:56 pm, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah...
so who told you that unions were of the devil!? or is that another gross misrepresentation... guess it must have been your Mum!?

 
At 10:31 pm, October 31, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

hmmm... I wonder who this anonymous person might be???!!!! No nasty comments please - this is a place of happy chatter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home