<$BlogMetaData$

Saturday, October 07, 2006

the perfect saturday

Welcome to my perfect world!

Housework - it's always satisfying to survey a clean house
Cooking - it never fails to do something good to my soul
Entertaining - ever the extrovert, I am energised by guests

All three have been part of my world today, and I feel content.

We've just said goodbye to Michelle and Rob, of 'happy chatter' blogging fame as well as the former managers of the homestead where we got married in January. It was so nice to catch up with them - and hand over the thankyou-chocolates!

I got industrious in the kitchen before they came, and used the Kenwood to good effect. Not only did it beat my eggs into the most beautiful stiff peaks in the world (so exciting. No amount of handbeating ever achieved this!), I also ran around the kitchen doing odd jobs while it whirred away (this is progress). The end result was 'beacon hill cookies' from my brand new recipe book called "500 cookies". They were melt-in-your mouth delicious!



I'm not sure if housework, cooking and entertaining really constitute the perfect Saturday - this belief probably stems from a fixation on mundane and banal happennings. Or maybe it flows from my obsession with frivolous, inconsequential events that matter little to anyone else. But that's my life!

It reminds me of a quote I read yesterday:
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
Marcel Proust
Sometimes I hanker to travel and explore. I get bored in one place and I just want to move on to discover more of the world. It's a lesson to me, experiencing life in a small town where everyone knows everyone and change is a slow process. I'm learning to value it; to live in the moment and savour its flavour; to look out on my mundane, banal life with new eyes. In this way I uncover treasures, discover myself and see God. My horizon expands without moving anywhere.

If you look at it like that, this really is the perfect Saturday - fully living the moment.

Welcome to my perfect world!

2 Comments:

At 2:04 am, October 08, 2006, Blogger Ben and Melissa James said...

Hi Cecily,
No I don't have a laptop. Super stinky! I am not really supposed to be sitting but rather reclining so a laptop would be handy!

The pic was not of me. That was my mom! I don't really like pics of me right now...too big!

 
At 5:25 pm, October 08, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Yum, the cookies look great! I LOVE your quote. I definitely need to work on getting a new perspective, especially when I get itchy feet. Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home