<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, November 30, 2006

no more pollution

As of today I'm going to make a stand - no more pollution.

No, I'm not talking about the end of NaBloPoMo and the sometimes cyber polluting twaddle I have peddled for thirty days. That will end, today even, but I'm talking about something far more serious.

The Tamar Valley is under threat from a Pulp Mill. As I write, plans have been submitted along with the arguments for and against. Until now I've taken a fairly layed back approach to the whole thing - I figure both sides have engaged in hyperbole, exaggerating their claims of pollution or pristine production. I couldn't believe either side so I didn't buy into the debate.

No more the lackadaisical attitude.

Tonight I heard that another industry on the Tamar is believed to have caused cancer in many families who live along the river - but the story has been supressed by the money of the company.

Plonk another industry right beside it and the pollution may be doubled. Or more than doubled. In my backyard, effecting the people I love.

My mind is made up, I've jumped off the fence, and I've landed squarely on the "No Pulp Mill" side of the debate. I might buy a sticker for my car, and I'll join in any protests and demonstrations around town.

We don't want our beautiful city or our beautiful valley destroyed for the sake of a dollar.

No more pollution I say.

And in an effort to reduce the drain on our water supplies, we've put two tanks in the backyard. Frank hooked them up to the downpipes today, one off the house and one off the garage. So now we just need rain - and since we live in the 5% of Australia not effected by the worst drought in history, it could happen soon. I hope. It would be lovely to see them filled to the top with delightful, live giving water!

3 Comments:

At 10:24 pm, November 30, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

We just had two water tanks installed this week also, how is that for a coincidence? :) I'm not expecting them to be brimful for a loooong time though, sadly.
Good for you making an environmental stand.
And congratulations on completing NaBloPoMo!! Enjoy your weekend off (did you get the hint that I hope you are back in the blogging saddle by Monday?!)

 
At 6:26 am, December 01, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

Monday? I keep thinking of things to write that will fill the weekend!

 
At 7:01 am, December 01, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Excellent! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home