<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, December 10, 2006

scorching summer's day

It's a scorcher here in Tassie today. 31 degrees celsius!

Depending on where you are, you may or may not consider that a heatwave, but this is Tasmania! Usually in December we might hit 25 degrees celsius on a warm day, otherwise we seem to hover around 20. Every few days snow will fall somewhere around the state, and we'll all be shivering again as the cold air flows around us.

But no - today is a Tassie heatwave and consequently we've flaked out inside! And why not? The city is blanketed in smoke from a bushfire somewhere (perhaps even Victoria), the air feels oppressive, there's a dry, hot breeze and the sun burns everything to a crisp in five minutes flat (that is only a slight exaggeration - the ozone over Tasmania is stuffed!). Thanks to living in an older home with high ceilings, we are enjoying lounging around in a very pleasant, cool house.

I like to think I prefer warmer weather. I even go so far as bragging to the locals about my heat tolerance, claiming to feel most comfortable at about 32 degrees C.

Well I take it all back! I'm sorry. I've been misleading you all. I much prefer 25.

And what about global warming? This is what troubles me most! I might moan that Tassie is too cold, but this unseasonably warm weather is disturbing.

Is our planet out of control? Could this be a one-off hot year, a blip in the average and next year it will all be OK? (OK a two year blip, seeing as last year was the hottest year on record!) Maybe Al Gore is justified in using the most extreme predictions - they might not be just a great rallying cry, they might be right! Maybe the media is scare mongering and I should just stamp out this gnawing fear that life as we know it could be about to change forever. I should remember that people in the northern hemisphere are experiencing snow and ice, just like normal. The whole world is not burning up just because right now we are!

Most likely I should just go outside and soak up the heat I've been longing for and stop thinking so much! Take each day as it comes and be thankful for what we've been given. Yay for 31 degrees C.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 pm, December 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's seems so strange to have someone experiencing the warm days of summer. Even though I know there are places warm in the US, but you have peeked my interest in Australia. I was talking to my brother-in-law, he said that the polar caps switch places every million years or so (could be less years not sure). So I'm wondering if we are switching polars. The North Pole will become the South and vise versa. One thing for sure, things are changing. It's cold here. Friday was in the 20's F. I guest that would be minus something in C right?

You would think with all the technology there is today, we should be able to bottle up this weather and use it when we need it for something.

 
At 12:19 am, December 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is currently 31 degrees F here in Maryland! (though, it's still early morning, it will get a bit warmer). I'm jealous of your heat wave!

 
At 4:30 pm, December 11, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Ugh, its soooooo hot here today. There is something very wrong about Summer. I'm jealous of the cooler temps you're having today (assuming the forecast was accurate).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home