<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, March 26, 2007

another ugly betty moment

I was starting to get a bit tired of Ugly Betty. It filled in a pleasant enough hour but it was predictable. It stopped touching my heart and I began to contemplate giving it up - of what benefit was watching it?

And then I cried. Again.
Caught unawares. Again.

It all started when Nico stood in the cavernous foyer of the Mode building, protesting against fur in fashion. Enter Wilhelmine wearing nothing but a fur coat, her winning words leaving Nico deflated and humiliated. It was a classic case of dysfunction - two people loving each other but with no clue as to how to express their love.

It struck too close to home, and the tears trickled freely down my face. Again. Frank did his best to cheer me in the ad (I'm sworn to secrecy on his methods - it included singing) but I couldn't brush off the spectre of the past hovering over me.

I liken my family to a giant onion - in the very centre is the love we hold for each other. The love is real, but it's buried beneath multiple layers of faulty communication - terse words, denigration, argument, manipulation. We don't know how to express our love because if we ever knew how to communicate in a healthy way, we've certainly forgotten now. I stumble and trip over the words "I love you", instead resorting to time worn patterns of blame and resignation.

So when Wilhelmine and Nico collapsed into a heap of recriminations and anger, I understood exactly where they were coming from, and their pain was my pain.

One day I hope to peel back the layers of the onion and find the love we hold in our hearts for each other. One day I hope to say "I love you" to each member of my family without feeling self-conscious and false. One conversation at a time. One layer at a time. I will get there.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:08 pm, March 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for trying. I've given up for now. I hope someday to get some sort of relationship with my siblings after the parents are gone. Maybe I'm living a dream, but until the parents stop manipulating there is no hope. I have even accepted the possibility that it will never happen and I'm okay with it. Sad, but okay with it.

Good for you Cecily, good for you!

 
At 9:22 pm, March 27, 2007, Blogger Cyber Chapina said...

wow. ugly betty strikes a cord.

 
At 9:41 pm, March 27, 2007, Blogger Cyber Chapina said...

right? Im gonna end up hating the show. getting your responses would be great! thanks in advance. I should sleep now. its almost 5 am.

 
At 11:39 am, March 28, 2007, Blogger lucidiocy said...

Cec,

Don't be sad.

~hands you a daisy

~T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home