<$BlogMetaData$

Saturday, March 31, 2007

cerealously

I've always been rather dubious about the health benefits of breakfast cereals, a state of mind brought about by high school home science classes I'm sure. (do you know how much salt is hidden away in a packet of cornflakes?)

As a rule I stick with Weet-Bix - low fat, low sugar, high fibre and all those other good things. That is, I stick with Weet-Bix when I'm not having a toast mood, and then I munch on soy and linseed bread spread with yummy Vegemite.

There is one other breakfast cereal that makes it past my 'health radar', and that's Special K. (Allbran kind of does too, but that's not part of today's story!) Each time a healthy, glowing, slim woman graces my television in a Special K ad, I can't help sitting up and listening. I know it's all pretty much a load of rot designed to make me buy, but I love being sucked in by it all and before I know it I'm hankering for a box of the good stuff.

So my defenses were down when I went to the supermarket today... and I was hungry. You'd think I would have learned from my previous hungry supermarket excursion, but no, I spied Special K Forest Berries variety and popped it in the trolley.

Immediately upon arriving home I ripped open the packet and started munching. I forgot to mention that I don't really care if Special K is healthy or not, I just love the taste. Because I think it is outrageously expensive I rarely buy it, so I go slightly crazy when a box is in the house.

OK, so it's advertised by beautiful women, it claims to be healthy, and I love the taste... but does Special K pass the test? Is it a healthy breakfast cereal?

I have my doubts!

First, you are only allowed the tiniest serve if you hope to look as good as the woman who graces the box... come on... 3/4 cup of cereal would fill me for an hour! Let's be realistic here.

Then there was this excellent advice on the box:
Being more active is essential to help you look and feel good. You should do at least 30 minutes of moderate activity, everyday. Activities needn't be strenuous or difficult. Keep it simple - walking, dancing, gardening or even shopping can help make a difference.
Turn the box around and there's further excellent advice:
See if you feel a difference... a few hours shopping in the New Year sales can be a fun way to increase your daily activity without even realising it.
Putting aside the fact that the New Year sales are long past... shopping for weightloss? Please! I know I have occasionally included shopping in my exercise quota, but only because I was desperate for exercise hours! I don't remember ever shopping to the point of developing a light sweat while still able to hold a conversation. Unless it was the time I squeezed into a girls size 10 swimmers - the sweat was dripping off after that struggle!

Bah... any breakfast cereal that has to recommend going shopping to lose weight doesn't deserve to be called healthy in my books!

Special K is officially off my healthy cereal list!

Not that that will stop me eating the rest of the yummy packet... I'll just be under no healthy illusions!



Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:01 am, April 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loose a little weight after eating Special K for a week or so. Good for you for eating the good stuff.

If Special K is all that you do that is bad for you, I should call you an angel! I should call you an angel even if you that blue die stuff in the chocolate!

 
At 12:56 pm, April 02, 2007, Blogger lucidiocy said...

Cec,

You made me crave cereal, so I ate 4 bowls of it today! ARGH. Too much sugar and I am totally hypoglycemic.

*sigh*

~goes off to look for some bonbons

 
At 11:52 pm, April 02, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I wonder if the new Special K with chocolate has made it to Australia yet? It's pretty good, though the chocolate is a little filmy. Guess that's what happens when you try to make chocolate healthy!

 
At 6:39 am, April 03, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Special K with chocolate?! Wow. I don't know if it was on the shelf - maybe it was and I just decided I would have none of it because it wasn't healthy enough. Or maybe I wanted it so much that I blocked it from my consciousness so I wouldn't buy it! I'm going to have to check it out now!

 
At 6:56 am, April 03, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Tamar, you mean I'm not the only one who craves sugar, binges, feels awful and so imbibes more sugar?! That's great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home