<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, August 16, 2007

confession of a would be adult

It's Thursday, and I have the day off work. I have an assignment due on Monday, and I'm supposed to be studying hard, but I'm not. I'm doing a Super Sudoku and slobbing around.

I did have a shower earlier, but on my way to dressing, I became distracted by the Sudoku, so at 11am there I stood, puzzling over boxed numbers, wearing nothing but a dressing gown, when there was a knock at the door.

I froze, immobilised by guilt and embarrassment. Instead of studying I was standing half naked wasting time. Oh the shame of being caught.

So I sneaked over to a place I knew I couldn't be seen and waited for the mystery door knocker to go away... I figured it was just the neighbour's son anyway. Or a delivery man. And I could always go out and pick up the delivery later.

Only the person didn't go away, they came down the drive way and I was horrified to see they were a friend I would be quite happy to talk to. I flew to the bedroom, hurriedly threw on some clothes and ran to the front door... only to catch a glimpse of their car driving off down the road.

Bother.

Ever since then I've been wracked by guilt. Not studying, ignoring a friend, motivated by fear. Oh the shame of it all.

Of course I could no more study wracked by guilt than I could study with an unfinished Sudoku in the house. So I eventually phoned my friend and confessed I had been home and apologised profusely... and managed to catch her slobbing around sipping coffee and reading a novel, something she never usually does during the day!

What a relief! She wasn't expecting me to be home anyway! She was having a lazy moment too! We'd caught each other out.

Ahhhh, now I can study!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:23 am, August 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a poem once, actually I can't remember exactly what it said except, that it was about the dust can wait, the responsibilities will always be there, but the precious times of friends and children will not.

I hope you enjoyed your day, and you have time tomorrow to get your assignment done.

 
At 6:41 pm, August 17, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

Hilarious!

 
At 10:52 pm, August 17, 2007, Blogger Cherie said...

You are not alone in having moments like that, Cecily.

Oh the shame! Oh the guilt! Oh the determination to never do it again.........only to do it again....

...because slobbing around is most necessary now and again. Like a little rebellion, or a little freedom, or just a little taking it easy.

Why do we feel so guilty? Weird.

Great post!

 
At 3:31 pm, August 19, 2007, Blogger Mike S said...

We all get that guilty feeling, and all along we're usually the only ones to notice our own 'slacking off':)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home