<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, October 25, 2007

four letter word

I think my violin teacher is trying to tell me something - on Tuesday she used a four letter word.

I know I hardly practice; that at times I arrive late for lessons; that I ooze enthusiasm during class but do nothing during the next fortnight (because a fortnight is the new week); sight read beautifully but never perfect a piece.

I know all that. But was it really worthy of that four letter word?

Exam.

"Would you like to do an exam next year? If so, you will need to start preparing this week."

(Reading between the lines, 'I'd like a bit more commitment from you Cecily. You've been learning for nearly four years now and it's time to step up to the mark again. No more lazy playing, no more lackadaisical attitude. Pull your socks up and put some spine into this.')

I don't generally mind exams. With pen and paper laid out in front of me I have no problem recalling facts and figures or piecing together a winning argument. Put a violin in my hands however, and I slowly fall apart. Last exam I was not required to play vibrato, but I still managed to produce an excellent tremolo effect. Unfortunately it came from my shaking bow and did little to furnish me with extra marks.

But I like a challenge (and I'm not planning to study in first semester), so I tentatively committed to an exam in June next year. Tomorrow I shall purchase the requisite third grade music and start the hard work of preparing. And learning vibrato. (For some reason I have in my head that I can't learn it... another challenge)

So if I'm not blogging much it might be because I'm practicing the violin. Or sitting in the sun.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:24 pm, October 25, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

Have fun sitting in the sun....I mean practicing! :)

 
At 12:40 am, October 26, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I think it's great that you've been learning violin as an adult.
I'm gone through several phases of teaching myself guitar, but I never get very far!

The vibrato will come. I remmeber suddenly figuring it out when I was in high school -- and I had played since I was 8!

Make sure you're using your chin to hold up the instrument, and not your hand so your wrist is free to move.

Good luck, but, you have a long time to prepare :)

 
At 10:30 am, October 27, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Thanks for the tip Merry... I've bought the book and practiced some of the pieces, but am still avoiding vibrato. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home