<$BlogMetaData$

Friday, January 25, 2008

'fess up you computer geeks

Who writes this stuff?

Roger Federer has no sooner been knocked out of the Australian Open (I know... outrageous) than the result is included on his wikipedia record right down to the scoreboard! Heath Ledger was barely dead and all the sketchy details were written into his wikipedia entry.

I know... I'm googling them, so I have no right to point the finger at such computer geekiness (I only wanted to know who Federer's pretty girlfriend is), but really... have these people no lives but they must take on the responsibility of editing wikipedia pages the moment anything noteworthy (or not) happens?

To rescue myself from computer geek status I must inform you that I spent the last three days (at various times) burning all my files onto CD (twice) in order to ensure a sturdy system of backups. Only after I had completed all this did my truly nerdy brother (seriously, he, like, works with computers all day, every day) start telling me about external hard drives... you mean I could have saved those hours of endless wrangling with a broken burner and dud CDs by just plugging in a hard drive and copying everything over in an instant? You didn't think it was worth telling me about this before all that wasted time? Time is a resource of great value - it would have been worth the investment.

Grrrr

So now I'm ready to delete my entire hard drive and rebuild my computer. Technically ready. Mentally the thought of this scares me silly, so I may well fill my hard drive with another year of useless information before I do the deed. Except my computer is getting slower and slower and slower so something must be done.

Anyway, I've decided to stop moaning about nursing since I've discovered that being an IT consultant would be the most tedious occupation in the world. With my geeky brother's most excellent tutelage I will rebuild my computer myself, but once I've proven I can do it... next time it will be off to the nearest computer shop. Why put myself through this? I'm no computer geek and it just might be worth paying someone else to do this stuff.

But I'll probably keep googling anyone who dies or otherwise piques my interest.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:48 pm, January 26, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Sounds like your computer and mine have been in cahoots! I have an external hard drive, but my firewire ports are burned out on the computer, so I can't use it anymore. So, to the DVD's I went to backup. I wiped my computer, rebuilt it, and wow, what a difference.

Good luck! (You can do it. Anyone who is as handy with poo as you are can handle anything ;)

 
At 4:25 am, January 27, 2008, Blogger deanna said...

I have a computer geek brother, too! And a machine that's so full it's slowing more and more. I don't want to think of wiping or rebuilding, though, either. Can't I just buy a new one?! Well, I see Cherie made things work out, so maybe with my brother's help I'll try.

 
At 6:16 pm, January 28, 2008, Blogger Robyn said...

My brain switches off when it comes to computers *sigh* I wish I had a computer nerd brother.

 
At 10:40 am, January 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a photographer.

I have an earring.

I am not a geek brother.

Not for long, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home