<$BlogMetaData$

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

lagging behind

I'm not really lagging behind - if anything I've raced ahead. Australia is second only to New Zealand in the world time stakes after all and I passed through enough time zones to now be eight hours ahead of Europe.

Behind or ahead, I still feel gnawing hunger at strange times, need to pee in the middle of the night while my circadian rhythm still tells my kidneys it is day time, and fall asleep while watching the news. (Incidentally I was able to stay awake for the whole of Ugly Betty without difficulty. Sigh. Such trash, but I love it)

Really Frank and I are not doing too badly. Apart from waking up at 5:30am yesterday, we are sleeping well and feeling only moderately tired. I have a slight constant headache which I am working on by drinking lots of water. (which will no doubt help not at all in the night time peeing stakes...)

I started back at work today (at the school) and loved it. Now I just have to conquer the hospital, which I would quite happily never look at ever again if I could avoid it. Ah well - don't need to go back until Monday.

The biggest issue has been the cold. I spent all of autumn bedding myself down for the winter before jetting off to summer. Now we have gone from the longest day of the year to the shortest over night. Endless summer evenings have been replaced by darkness, the trees look indecently bare, and the cold... the cold. Well it took me three hours to get to sleep the other night I was so cold for so long. It was 32 degrees C in Rome when we left. 9 degrees C the day we arrived here, the coldest day of the winter so far. What a shock.

Moan, moan, moan - anyone would think I could at least be glad about the month of warmth and the fantastic places we visited.

So I'll stop complaining now and start reflecting on the great time we had.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:52 pm, June 25, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Welcome home dear Cecily!! How I've missed you, but I truly am happy for you and your travels. Thank you so much for the post card! It came on the perfect day and cheered me to no end. I still have it positioned where I can see it regularly. (You do have amazing handwriting!)

I hope you get to feeling normal again soon so that you can roll around in your happy memories. Lovely lovely trip you have still in vivid in your head.

I know where your summer went - here! Of course. Everytime I water my tiny garden I think of you and your pretty garden - and Clive - and all your summer adventures. I only hope my summer is as interesting.

Rest up. I patiently await your photos. No pressure. They're worth waiting for.

 
At 5:56 pm, June 25, 2008, Blogger Mike S said...

Yes, make sure you're rested. No illness allowed over your winter.

It won't make you feel any better, but at our home weather station, the average 0300 temp here has been 43F/6C. That's a bit above the current temp at 0400 which is 41F/5C. Cool summer night, even for here. Breezy too 6mph/9kph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home