<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, June 02, 2008

where's cecily?

So we swallowed our carbon footprint conscience, and jumped on a plane. Thirty two hours, three flights, two train rides, and plenty of hanging around airports later we stepped out in London.

I find plane travel an incredible experience. Incredibly tiring, drying and tedious and yet incredibly amazing to traverse the globe in little more than one day. How can this be, that I woke up in Australia and fell asleep in England? However it happened, it did and so I was able to attend my friend's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebrations. Ah. I'll endure sleeplessness, DVTs and boredom for that any day!

Ten years ago I lived in London for three years (I know, I hardly look old enough), so I installed myself as our official tour guide. We took in the usual sites and sounds before branching out under the guidance of our friends into the lush green countryside of Kent to visit the former home of Winston Churchill and a lovely ruined castle. We also marvelled at Canterbury Cathedral (No photos due to technical difficulties sorry)

Along the way I have made a number of discoveries:
  • England is not in drought (yes, that means it rained nearly every day of our visit)
  • Karval is wonderful, we should have it in Australia (nasty cold with incredibly stuffy nosed relieved by Karval capsules sprinkled on tissue)
  • Frank is not a backpacker at heart (nearly killed me catching a taxi to our accommodation in Hamburg the other night)
  • Hamburg is a beautiful city. It helped that the sun was shining
And right now you will find me in Frankfurt (Main) Germany staying with a dear friend. Incredible.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:04 am, June 02, 2008, Blogger deanna said...

I'm glad the sun found you in Germany! Wow, you're a lot closer to my time zone, though still about eight hours ahead. Have a great time.

 
At 12:09 pm, June 02, 2008, Blogger Sandy said...

Oh how fun Cecily. I'm so glad you made it there without too much trouble and are enjoying your friends.

Stay safe. Can't wait to see the pictures when you return!

PS - thanks for the good wishes for my sister-in-law!

 
At 1:54 am, June 05, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Incredible indeed, Cecily. It sounds divine!

So happy for you. In fact, I wish I was there!!

:D

 
At 10:28 am, June 08, 2008, Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Cecily, It's June 7, and I thought I would stop by to see if there are any updates. I hope you're having a wonderful time!

 
At 3:35 pm, June 10, 2008, Blogger Mike S said...

Wish I were there visiting my friends in Erfurt. Have another in the UK in Leighton Buzzard(what a name). Aircraft travel is marvelous, but I lost my taste for long journeys aboard them when I had to start making monthly trips back to the US for 3 days for meetings that could've been faxed to me(fax was pretty new then).

Hope you get loadsa rest and relaxtion before tackling your new duties. You deserve every minute of it:):)

 
At 2:21 pm, June 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you, Cecily! I hope you're having a wonderful time on your trip. I can't wait to see photos and hear about it when you come back.

Enjoy!

~Leah
my pink toes

 
At 5:15 pm, June 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you have had a wonderful time with friends...say Hi to Frank for us...I hope that he is having a good time too!

Best wishes for the trip back...Karen B!

 
At 9:21 pm, June 20, 2008, Blogger Sandy said...

Where's Cecily! I know she still exsists. Are you back yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home