<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, October 16, 2008

cravings

I've been trying to eat vegetables in season this winter. Thus lots of celeriac, fennel bulbs and silver beet.

Yum.
No... seriously, yum! (You should try the incredible winter vegetable gratin I made. Talk about flavours bursting on the tongue!)

Anyway, my tomato seeds have not germinated this year. Corn, snowpeas, beans, carrots, lettuce, raddish and beetroot are all doing swimmingly. But the tomatoes? Not even a glimpse of green. A few other things have also not germinated, but I'm not as bothered about them - whoever thought growing eggplants in Tasmania was possible or desirable anyway?

Nope, it's tomatoes I dream of. Red, luscious, flavoursome, juicy, wonderful. So I've soaked a few seeds overnight and planted another round. If that fails I will buy seedlings ready to go. Time is running out if I want to catch any summer warmth to ripen the fruit. I must get them in the ground very soon.

But for now I dream of tomatoes. Capsicum too, because I have also religiously avoided that summer fruit during these winter months. (Funnily enough, I've always considered ragout a winter dish, but all the vegetables in it are summer produce! Go figure!)

Bring on the day when my tomato bushes are big, lush and heavy with fruit. Yum oh yum.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:41 am, October 17, 2008, Blogger Luke said...

Normal people think these thoughts about chocolate and ... hold on, is this blog G rated?

Hahaha.

Seriously tho, I hope your tomato bushes become big, lush and heavy before too long ...

 
At 2:16 am, October 17, 2008, Blogger Heather Plett said...

Have you seen the cookbook "Simply in Season"? It's lovely. Check it out - it fits perfectly with your seasonal eating choice.

 
At 8:58 am, October 18, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

I've got one last tomato on my vines, reddening up and about ready to pick. I think I'll name it Cecily! The rest are in the freezer, or the veggie bin in the fridge. We had a bumper crop this year and I wish the same for you.

I just discovered celeriac this month. It was in our CSA box. How do you prepare and eat it? I put it in a beef stew and am told it is good mashed and with butter. I'd love to have your suggestions as we want to continue eating lots of veggies as fall and winter deepen upon us. Otherwise, well, we just get fatter. Ha.

Good luck on your garden, Cecily!

 
At 8:59 am, October 18, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

I'm going to check out Heather's Simply in Season book suggestion, too, as that's what we are trying to do. Eat local, seasonal foods. Thanks, Heather!

 
At 6:21 am, October 19, 2008, Blogger Robyn said...

Mmmmm, home grown tomatoes! Supermarket ones never taste quite right. I'm trying again with my veggie patch although I'm just growing tomatoes and corn this time I think. Its starting to dawn on me that I'm not a good gardener but I have fun! Good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home