<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, November 06, 2008

sleep, wither hast thou gone?

I'm feeling a little seedy. Somehow a camp with 53 grade 5/6 students seems so much better in theory. At least that was how it seemed at 1:20 am when I accidentally read my watch upside down and thought it was ten to seven and I believed myself to have missed a peaceful shower sans children because I had slept in and only awoke when they ran up and down outside the cabins.

Children raising backwards and forewards screaming was no dream and showers were the last thing on their minds as they repeatedly escaped their rooms for secret rendezvous under the stars. Just as I was dropping off to sleep at 2:15am they started at it all over again. (If they'd had any sense they would have sneaked out silently, but perhaps we should be glad they could not contain their giggles and squeals!) As all the teachers seemed asleep, I dragged myself out of the sleeping bag and told them to get back to bed. At the sound of continued chatter and thumping on the floor I knocked on suspect doors and told them in hushed tones to be quiet and think of other people who were trying to sleep... but one person wanting sleep in a room of seven was hardly a strong enducement.

I have no idea if any of them slept after that, though in view of my eventual peaceful shower, I suppose they must have! As it was when I went back to the staff cabin one of the teachers was snoring just enough that sleep remained elusive for quite some time.

Ah well. At least they all had fun, and with a location like this to explore together - I can't really complain!





Night time shenanigans aside, they were pretty good kids really. Hyper excited (what other explanation could there be for wearing pyjamas en masse at 3pm - that or a plethora of new PJs they could not wait to don!), but adorable in their delight. I love these kids and I'm thankful for the chance to share with them in creating happy memories that hopefully will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:51 pm, November 07, 2008, Blogger deanna said...

I won't say you're such a trouper, what a wonder, most patient to work with kids, and all that drivel. But you are, especially because it sounds like you had fun. :o)

I'll bet you're happy, too, regarding the election results.

 
At 2:06 pm, November 07, 2008, Blogger Sandy said...

Do you know that's why Tylenol p.m. was made?

So glad you had a good time. Trips like that are so good for the kids. Welcome back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home